Monday, January 30, 2006

Listening to New tunes

My family provided me with lots of music this Christmas. My most favorite has been the new Nanci Griffith cd's. The stories in her songs bring back memories of living in Mississippi. Back then we wore those fluffy petticoats that stood out and made our waists look oh sooooo skinny. Of course, I was oh soooo skinny back then. Nanci Griffith has a song about a Woolworth store and it reminded me of the old Woolworth store I used to go into on my way home from school. I would walk in and I could smell the mixture of candy, hamburgers from the lunch menu, double bubble, and floor wax. I would walk up and down the aisles looking at the cotton slips and stockings. I would turn the corner and come upon the aisle that had toys. There they sat all lined in little piles. The packages of jacks with red bouncy balls. I was a fabulout jacks player when I was in elementary school. Part of me wanted to be all grown up and wear stockings and makeup, but part of me wanted to stay back and play jacks. Anyway, Nanci Griffith's songs brought back lots of memories of the old "Five and Dim e" I used to visit every afternoon after school.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad that you have started updating your blog again. I check it all the time. Keep it up!
I will be back tomorrow!

7:00 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Heres to good ole music!

4:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Where did you go????

10:09 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home