Thursday, April 10, 2008

Inspiration

Last night Kirk and I watched ABC's Prime Time with Diane Sawyer. She interviewed Randy Pauche(I think I spelled his name correctly). He is an incredible human being. Several months ago I got an e-mail with the lecture that he gave at Carnagie Mellon back in the fall. He had been diagnosed with cancer of the panceas. His doctors gave him six months to live. He has lived beyond those months, however he is fading. He has a wife and three children. His children are under the age of six. I called the interview inspirational because you NEVER felt sorry for this man and his family. You felt sad that he will be leaving them soon, but not sorry. I thought that I would cry my eyes out over his destiny. I did not. I teared up a couple of times when he talked about how his children's lives will change with his death. He said that he decided to use the time he had left to create safety nets to catch them after he dies. He knows that it is going to be very difficult for them. He is the example of how to live and how to die. His faith must be huge. He believes in loving now, playing now, living now. When you really think about it, NOW is all we have. We can't change the past and we don't know the future. Now is all we really have. It makes you rethink a whole lot of things, and just move forward with what you know right now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Melisa said...

I saw that program too and was also shocked at his acceptance of his destiny. I have known 3 others that had the same cancer and choose to live the remainder of their lives the same way...Living for now...living for the ones that they left behind! I only hope that if I am ever faced with that challenge, I will have the same courage and faith to die gracefully!

12:52 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home